top of page
  • BMMS

How to Get your Tax Refund if you Already Filed your Return

If you have overpaid your taxes, when you file a tax return you can elect to have the overpayment refunded or applied to cover future taxes. Generally, once you make a decision it is final and you can’t go back and change your mind. However, due to COVID-19 and the extended July 15th deadline, taxpayers who have already filed their 2019 tax returns and elected to apply any overpayment of taxes to the future get a reprieve. By filing a superseding tax return, you can elect to get a refund of any overpaid taxes instead of applying them to a future year. There is a deadline to file a superseding tax return which depends on your unique circumstances. However the deadline could be as soon as July 15th, so don’t delay if this applies to you.

More information can be found at Taxpayer Advocate - Superseding Tax Return.

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

2020 Post-Election Tax Policy Update

Wolters Kluwer created a comprehensive analysis on what a Biden win means to 2021 tax policy and beyond. We have been following the updates and wanted to share the information with you. Highlights inc

Democrats Take the Senate

Yesterday was a tumultuous day, to say the least. Almost overshadowed by the chaos in Washington DC was the Democrats winning both Senate races in Georgia. This gives them control of Congress and an o


bottom of page